BATESONS of WINDHILL
Revision 3 June 2015
The earliest documented reference to Joseph comes from a Calverley Parish Church register entry dated 18 March 1790 when he married Mary Rawnsley. Neither he nor his wife appears to have signed their names in the Register. His occupation was recorded as Clothier.
The 1807 Poll for the County of York, shows a Clothier called Joseph Bateson as a Freeholder in Idle, voting for Lord Milton.
A few years later, an Idle Inclosure Notice and accompanying Plan drawn up between 1810 and 1813 shows that Joseph Bateson owned 3 small plots of land amounting to just over half an acre located between the Bradford Turnpike Road (later Briggate) and the Bradford to Shipley Canal .
This was confirmed in Milton Hudson’s history of the Wesleyan Mission, which was built in 1834 on land overlooking the Bradford Beck and Bradford Canal, land that "was recorded as belonging to Joseph Bateson at the time of the enclosure of the common land known as 'Gawcliffe Cragg' in 1813” .
The Cumberland Survey of 1583-4 referred to Gawcliffe Cragg as ‘one of four several parcels of waste ground’ in the Lordship of Idle: it ‘joineth with the iron smythies situate near the beck and the town of Windell. The same is full of stones and rocks, and containeth by estimation 39 acres’. By 1838, Gawcliffe Cragg was being described as Windhill Crag or Cragg on maps of the day.
Joseph may have been born in September 1768, although there are no birth or christening records. Nothing is known of his antecedents, though it is likely that they owned land near the hamlet of Windhill. William Cudworth, in his 1876 history, Round About Bradford , believed that there was a connection between Joseph and a Peter Baytson, who was recorded in the 1583 Cumberland Survey as the joint owner of several parcels of land in Windell or Windhill. A footnote in Vol 1 of Samuel Margerison's 1880 transcription of the Calverley Parish Church Registers of 1574 to 1649 says that the Swaines and Baitsons were families of some standing at Windhill and Idle.
Joseph Bateson was an enterprising man, being credited (by Cudworth ) with establishing the first mill to process woollen waste, though its exact location is unknown. By 1822, he was listed in Baines’ Directory, along with his son James, as a Woollen Cloth Manufacturer at Windhill Crag. The pair was listed in trade directories in the 1830s, though Joseph was absent from White’s 1837 Directory. It seems unlikely that their establishments were anything like the new mills, which at that time mainly produced worsted, rather than woollen, cloth – weaving with hand-looms would have been carried out on the upper floors of terraced dwelling houses, approached from outside by stone steps.
Joseph was involved in a number of property transactions in the early part of the 19th century . These are listed below. The Plot numbers are those given by the 1813 Idle Inclosure Notice . See the Maps page for further details.
In an Indenture dated April 1804 John Thornton, a Woolstapler from Birks Hall, Bowling, conveyed a cottage occupied by William Cordingley, a Cordwainer, to Joseph Bateson. It is thought the property could be the building shown on the 1813 Plan at the back of Plot 208.
In 1811, along with a David Mellor, he purchased a cottage from George Wright, a Bradford Currier. The property was located on the south side of the highway leading from Shipley.
In 1813 he was one of a syndicate of 5 men who received a newly enclosed parcel of land of 8 perches from Henry Wright Dawson. This was Plot 197 on the 1813 Plan. The deed noted that a tenement had been erected on the site and was already being used as a School. This suggests that the ‘syndicate’ was actually a board of trustees for the School. Joseph was evidently a figure of some standing in the community.
In 1820 Joseph and his brother-in-law John Peel purchased a cottage from Benjamin Harrison, a local clothier. This may have been the site of the future Foresters' Arms inn.
On 26 October 1825 he was one of 4 men involved in the purchase of 3 cottages ‘at the cragside in Windhill’. In the deed he was described as ‘a Trustee nominated & appointed for the purposes hereinafter mentioned’, being a member of a Friendly Society called the Benevolent Society that met at the Blue Bell on Leeds Road (where Samuel Bateson was the Innkeeper). The Memorial did not reveal the ‘purposes’ of the acquisition. Samuel Bateson, incidentally, was a former butcher from Rawdon and was not related to Joseph.
In 1832 Joseph conveyed 2 plots of land – numbered 208 and 209 on the 1813 Plan – to Samuel Forrest and John Jennings.
On 6 and 7 August 1834 he sold, by means of a Lease and Release, the land on which the Wesleyan Mission Hall would be built.
On 11 and 12 August 1834 he conveyed the site of Crag Cottage to William Peel.
In 1836 Joseph conveyed his own house to his son George. Since it was noted as ‘sometime lately in the occupation of Benjamin Harrison', this was probably the property he bought in 1820.
Joseph died of Old Age on 21 March 1838 and was buried in the little cemetery adjacent to the Wesleyan Church, built on land he once owned.
In his Will, drawn up on 19 December 1837, Joseph bequeathed the following properties to his descendants:
A house he lived in, with a parcel of land between the house and the road. This may have been located on Plot K (see Maps page).
A house occupied by his son George.
A house occupied by his daughter Betty Peel, possibly the future Foresters’ Arms inn.
A house occupied by John Rawnsley, his brother-in-law's son.
A house - Crag Cottage - occupied by William and Henrietta Peel.
A Road and Pump near the houses occupied by George and Betty; this may refer to a lane between Plots 208 and 209 (on the 1813 Plan), even though he appears to have sold the Plots in 1832.
His remaining freehold estate to the north east of Crag Cottage. This has not been positively identified but may have been the southern part of Plot 201 on the east side of Briggate.
Joseph Bateson’s children
Joseph’s seven children – three girls and four boys – were born between 1791 and 1804.
Elizabeth, the eldest, was born in 1791 and married John Peel, one of two well-to-do Peel brothers from Keighley, around 1806. She may have had as many as 11 children. John was originally a cloth manufacturer, but when the trade began to die out in the 1830s, he took over the Foresters' Arms Public House on Briggate. He was recorded as a Trustee of the Wesleyan Mission in 1837. Elizabeth took over the running of the alehouse on his death in 1845. She died in 1865 and, like the rest of the family, was buried in the Wesleyan Cemetery.
Hannah was born in 1792. Little is known of her other than her marriage to a Corn Miller called John Smith in 1812. The couple had four children - Mary Ann (1814), Henrietta Maria (1821), Bateson Rawnsley (1828) and Charlotte Rebecca (1830). The family are scattered in the 1841 and 1851 censuses, probably because John almost certainly died in the 1830s.
Hannah and Henrietta appear together in Bradford in 1841. Hannah was a Glass Minder, while Henrietta was a mill worker. She married Joseph Robinson in 1844, Bartholomew Storrs in 1876, and died in 1890.
Charlotte was living with her cousin Sarah Peel's family in Windhill during both censuses. She married John Bell in 1853 and went to live in Guiseley, where she died in 1870.
Bateson was with his Uncle James in Windhill in 1841. He married Ann McNamara in 1850 and moved to Bradford. He emigrated to Massachusetts around 1865 and died in New York in 1917.
Mary married Bartholomew Storrs in 1834 and had at least 5 children. One, Elizabeth, went to Massachusetts, where she died in 1910. After Mary died in 1875, Bartholomew married her sister Henrietta.
James was born in 1794 and married Isabella Wade in 1815. He ran a small cloth making business at Windhill Crag, the ownership possibly shared with his father. He had seven children, four of them boys. The first-born, Nancy, married John Dixon in 1844; their son Thomas did well enough to move into Highfield House, Baildon at the turn of the century. Sammy, probably died in infancy. Joseph (1819), William (1822) and James (1824) carried on the family wool business and became wealthy men and pillars of the community.
James’s grandson, William Jennings, married an Emily Tetley and had a daughter, Ruthetta. After Emily died in 1870, he emigrated to New South Wales, married Annie Goldsmith and had five sons.
One of James’s great-grandsons, James, also emigrated to New South Wales but died in 1890, apparently unmarried.
Rebecca was born in 1796 and married the other Peel brother, William, around 1820. He had a cloth manufacturing business so that, by 1841, he could describe himself as ‘a gentleman of independent means’. Unfortunately, Rebecca had died in 1831. Their only daughter, Henrietta Maria Peel, kept a Diary, part of which was later published by her devoted father after her untimely death in 1863, aged 43. As a memorial to his wife and daughter, he endowed a fine stained glass window and plaque in St Paul’s Parish Church in Shipley.
William Peel 
William is of interest because he used his wealth to fund a cultured lifestyle in a comfortable house and to indulge in an eccentric passion for things Druidic. Some time around 1838, he built a house, Crag Cottage, on the west side of Briggate on a steep slope dropping down to the Bradford Canal. It was a well-appointed building, extravagantly furnished. A room at the top of the house was equipped as an astronomical observatory, with state of the art telescopes. Like many early Victorians, Peel believed that any oddly-shaped rocks must have been fashioned by supernatural beings such as Druids. Talking about Windhill Crag, he wrote that “on these crags the ancient Druids ranged” . And that the pre-Roman remains of Druidism were to be found nearby. On the east side of Briggate he collected and arranged rocks “as near the original as history describes; that is the Altar, Archdruid’s Chair, and Mistletoe Table.” He also built a complex of religious buildings: an exotic-looking church in the Roman style stood next to a Vicarage. Next to that was an Observatory tower decorated with Druidic symbols. It had a sundial and a clock dedicated to Sir Robert Peel, the Prime Minister in the 1830s and 1840s. The following couplet formed part of the inscription:
When this clock doth strike the hour
Think of the price of meal and flour.
A telescope mounted on the roof directed its gaze heaven-wards.
Peel’s nephew, Charles Bateson, would have seen, perhaps played with, the telescopes and may have developed his passion for astronomy that is related in stories that were passed down the generations.
George was baptised in Shipley on 16 November 1798.
Joseph had two further sons - Jonas was born in 1801 but died less than 2 years later.
Another boy, also called Jonas, was born in 1804. It is not known what became of him.
George married Mary Haley in Otley in 1819. See Note on duplicate marriages below.
Mary died in January 1829. Ten months later, George married Nancy or Ann Farrer, a Warp Twister from Shipley.
In 1836, when his father gifted a house to his son, he was described as a Clothmaker.
In 1838, George was present at his father’s death. Joseph’s estate consisted of five properties in Briggate, and two parcels of land. Like several other Windhill proprietors, he had his name immortalised in the local stone – Bateson Fold was situated between Briggate and the Canal. Joseph’s surviving children each got a house except James who, as the eldest, had probably had the business settled on him already. James was also bequeathed one of the plots of land. The other plot went to his granddaughter, Sarah, who also got a house. Another granddaughter, Henrietta Maria Peel, was bequeathed the house she lived in with her father, William Peel.
Over the next 12 years or more, George and his family lived near Dumb Mill, Frizinghall, but moved back to Windhill in the 1850s. He was described in the censuses as a factory worker of one kind or another, which suggests that he was not as enterprising as his brother James in establishing a woollen cloth business.
In 1853, a few days before the start of an Enquiry into Sanitary Conditions in Idle, George seconded a resolution stating that the Bradford Canal was the greatest prevailing nuisance to the neighbourhood and that “until it be removed the sanitary condition of Windhill cannot be much improved”.
His second wife died on 23 May 1853 and four years later George married Ellen Firth, the widow of a grocer from Little London in Rawdon. The exact location of the grocery shop is not known, but George may have briefly been involved in it, because he was described as a Shopkeeper in 1865 and as a Grocer at other times.
In 1858, when he raised a mortgage from the Bradford Third Equitable Benefit Building Society against the house his father gave him in 1836, he was again described as a Clothmaker.
Yet, on his death from paralysis at Windhill in 1875, aged 76, he was described as a Proprietor of Cottages - he owned five properties and a bake house. He had inherited two houses and a roadway from his father, but how he came by his other properties is unclear - there is no documentary evidence that he purchased anything on his own account.
In his Will, George left legacies of £42 to each of the surviving daughters of his son John, who had died in 1867. He also left money to his daughter Sarah, although she had been well cared for by the Will of her grandfather. The properties he owned went to his only surviving son, Charles.
According to family legend, George was said to have owned half the village of Windhill, to have built ‘Bateson’s Folly’ or 'Windhill Castle', to have worn a blue weaver’s apron to go to the bank to disguise his errand and, finally, to have lost his money and castle in bankruptcy. But there is little doubt that the odd collection of buildings erected by William Peel is the legendary ‘Bateson Castle’. The name may have become attached to the Batesons after Peel’s bankruptcy in 1865, when his property passed into the hands of William and James Bateson. Billy Peel’s Place, as it was known locally, may have been acquired along with Crag Cottage by the Batesons when Peel was forced to sell it by public auction on 27 November 1865 - he had been bankrupted by the collapse, through fraud, of the Leeds Banking Company, of which he was a large shareholder.
Apart from a liking for disguise, only a little is known about George Bateson the man. There is evidence that he was an accomplished and highly regarded musician and music teacher. From the early 1830s he “was an enthusiastic musician, and served his community well by instilling a love of music in an otherwise uncultured soul” . He performed for a local choral society as a bass player – this is may refer to the 19th Century version of a double bass, or perhaps to the bass violin, which was similar to a cello. In 1869, his former pupils started an annual gathering of old musicians that met in members’ houses or at local hostelries for a programme of choral and instrumental music.
George had a dark side to his character, however. On 26 May 1865, the Bradford Observer reported under the headline “Two Quarrelsome Old Sinners” that George’s wife Ellen had charged him with assault, alleging that he had broken her nose, loosened two of her teeth and kept her locked up in the house for several days to prevent her from ‘fetching law’. The quarrel arose when Ellen, having just become a Latter Day Saints convert (George was a Wesleyan), disobeyed her husband and sold an old family Bible. George was found guilty and fined 20/- with costs, with the alternative of a month’s imprisonment.
There are hints that someone in the family was a Luddite or perhaps a member of the Chartist Movement. This was attributed to Charles. Since Luddism as a force was spent by the 1820s and the height of Chartism’s power came in the 1840s, he might well have been a member of the latter organisation. However, there are at least two references in the media of 1850 and 1851 to a G Bateson of Shipley, who appears to have been some kind of treasurer responsible for maintaining the Honesty Fund for the local Chartist branch.
George Bateson’s family
George and Mary had four children, starting with Charles in 1820.
John was born in 1822. For some reason, he did not get a mention in his grandfather’s Will. He married Mary Greaves in 1844 and had seven children, six of them girls, between 1844 and 1862. He worked in a cotton mill and died in 1867.
Thomas Joseph, who probably died in infancy, was born in 1824.
Sarah appeared in 1826. She married William Metcalfe of Embsay, near Skipton, at the age of 26. They had a boy and a girl and lived in Saltaire before moving to Bradford, where William had a grocer’s shop. She died in 1880.
Baptised on 27 September 1820, he married Margaret Laycock at Bradford Cathedral in 1846. He was described as a Gardener, though he was trained as a Cotton Warp Dresser.
By 1851, when William Henry was born, the family was living in central Bradford with Charles’ wife’s parents.
By 1861, Charles had become a Milk Dealer. In 1866
he was described as a Cowkeeper!
In 1870, on the verge of retirement, Charles bought 3 houses in Windhill. He may have occupied one - he was recorded at 2 Water Lane, Windhill in the 1871 Census. In that year he submitted plans to the Local Board for 'conveniences' and in 1875 applied for permission to build 2 cottages and 2 'cellar dwellings'.
In a deed dated 1902 another property he acquired was described as being surrounded by other properties he already owned.
Something of an eccentric, he is reputed to have believed that Christmas Day was on the 26th of December, and so made his grandchildren sing carols on Boxing Day!
When he died in 1903, he and his wife Margaret were living with their married daughter Elizabeth.
There is no specific mention of any property in his Will. Each of his three surviving sons was bequeathed an eighth of his estate, while his two daughters each got a quarter. The remaining eighth was shared among the children of William Henry – Herbert, Ernest, Millie and Elma.
Charles Bateson’s family
Two of Charles's sons, George and Haley, were associated with more failed marriages, bigamous marriages, illegitimate children and criminal activity than any other family member.
George Horatio was born on 31 March 1847 and married Mary Lambert in 1870. He was the proprietor of his own horse-drawn cab service.
His first four children - he had four daughters and one son - were born in Morecambe, where his wife originated.
On Sunday 3 October 1875, George was running his business from an address in Briggate, Windhill – he had recently received planning approval for the construction of a stable – when he found the body of a young woman in the canal. Appearing at the inquest, he reported that he helped pull the woman out of the water. The body was taken to the Foresters’ Arms for a post mortem examination, which concluded that she had drowned. The Bradford Observer reported on the case under the headline “Windhill Tragedy”. Two men were subsequently charged with her murder but were found Not Guilty and acquitted.
Perhaps George worked a lot of late nights conveying fares through Bradford’s streets. This may partly explain his frequent absences from the marital home in Manningham: he was not there on the night of the 1881 Census, although he continued to be registered as a voter there until 1883; in 1891, his wife was described as a Widow; in 1901, when he was registered as living alone in Bradford, his wife was initially recorded as a Widow but this was subsequently corrected to Married; by 1911 he had moved to 4 Field Street, Shipley,as a retired Cabman living with his sister Elizabeth’s family while his wife, living in Manningham with her daughter Lily, had reverted to the Married state.
In June 1903 he would have been seen striding the promenade decks of the SS New England, en voyage from Liverpool to Boston - his first visit to the United States. He was on his way to see his younger brother, John, who was by this time well established as a Baker in Central Falls, Rhode Island.
George Horatio died in 1920. When his birth was recorded, the registry clerk misinterpreted the broad Yorkshire dialect and wrote his middle name as Oracia. This was corrected in later documents but, oddly, he appears on the Bateson family tomb in Shipley as George O Bateson.
Of George’s five known children, Hannah and George William went to America and stayed. Their fortunes are noted elsewhere.
Margaret, born in Morecambe in 1873, married a Grocer called Samuel Fletcher. She died in Huddersfield in 1958.
Mary Ellen, born in Morecambe in 1879, remained in Bradford with her husband Benjamin Schofield until her death in 1961.
Lily, born in 1886, sailed to Ellis Island in 1919, going on to Lowell to stay with sister Hannah and her “husband” George Parr. Returning 6 months later, she married Edward Perkin, a Carter from Barrow. Edward claimed to be a Widower but his Army records prove otherwise. After being Wounded in Action in 1918, he was demobbed from the Scots Guards. Included in his records is an Order for Stoppage of Pay of 6d a day to support his illegitimate son Frank, born in 1910. He never married the boy’s mother, Edith Casson. Lily Perkin had two girls and died in Huddersfield in 1978.
Ernest Laycock was born in 1849 but only survived until 1850.
William Henry, born on 28 March 1851, married Elizabeth Hartley, who came from Oxenhope, in 1878. Although he started his working life as an assistant to his father, he later kept a Hairdressing shop in Windhill. Nothing more is known of his life.
He died in 1891, aged only 40, and was interred in Windhill Crag Cemetery. His wife Elizabeth was a Draper at the time. Shortly after her husband’s death, the family moved to the Undercliffe area of Bradford, where she may have kept a Grocer’s shop. By 1901, however, the family was living in a street near the Cathedral, where she ran a Confectionery shop.
William Henry’s family
Herbert, the couple’s first child, was born on 3 January 1879, followed by Margaret Amelia (Millie) in 1882, Ernest in 1883 and Elma in 1887.
The family lived in Briggate at least until 1891. At that time, a distant cousin of Herbert’s called Albert Swaine was living in a nearby street. Swaine was a music teacher and later became a Professor of Music in Bradford. Although Herbert trained and worked as a printer, it is possible that he took violin lessons from Albert, practising - it was said - at 6 o'clock in the morning. He was talented enough to take lessons at a music school in London. By 1901 he was staying at Martha Marshall's lodging house in Barnsley, where he probably played in the pit of the local cinema.
McDougall when he was playing in a
Leading the life of a peripatetic musician, Herbert was next documented in 1911 living alone near Old Trafford, Manchester, where he was working as a Theatrical Musician. Perhaps it was here that he took up conducting, studying under the tutelage of Sir Hamilton Harty, who would later become Principal Conductor of the Halle Orchestra.
In 1912 or 1913, Herbert was persuaded to go to Glasgow by a fellow musician / composer called Paul Kilburn. It is not known when he was offered a post with the Scottish Orchestra. What is known is that Herbert spent some of the war years working for the entertainments department of an explosives factory in Alexandria, Dumbarton. Called the Gun Works, it was opened in 1915 by Armstrong Whitworth for the production of shells.
After the war, Herbert played for the Scottish Orchestra - he is thought to have become Principal Violinist - and took in private students. He died in 1947.
Haley was born in Allerton, Bradford, in 1853 and died in Shipley in 1914. His story is told in more detail here.
Elizabeth Ann was born in 1855, married a Labourer called John Robinson Wright and had two children, Mary and Maud. As a Percher (Inspector) of Cloth, Mary travelled to Quebec province where she married Walter Forrest Waters in 1923. There were no children. By 1946 the marriage was probably over - in that year she sailed back to Liverpool on the Cavina to stay with her parents in Morecambe. Evidently the wanderlust never left her - in 1951 she sailed to New Zealand with the intention of emigrating there. Perhaps things did not work out - the following year she sailed back to England to end her days in Morecambe. When her husband's death was announced in the Montreal Gazette in 1966, another woman was cited as his beloved wife! Until 1922 at least, Elizabeth and John lived in the family home in Field Street, Shipley. In the early 1930s they moved back to Windhill. By 1937 they seem to have come into money, because they retired to a pleasant bungalow by the sea at Morecambe-Heysham. Elizabeth died there in 1940 and John in 1949. Maud, who lived with her parents, died a spinster in 1947. Mary died in 1969.
John, born in Manningham, Bradford, in 1858, emigrated to the United States and obtained US citizenship in 1887. His story is told in more detail here.
Mary Ellen was born in 1861, married Dixon Rollinson in 1885 and had four children - John, Maggie, Emma (died in infancy) and Sarah Ellen. Maggie married Thomas Atkinson, a Shoemaker, shortly before leaving for New Zealand in September 1913 onboard the Corinthic. The rest of the family emigrated onboard the Ruahine in October 1913 and set up home at Napier, Hawkes Bay. Dixon, a Joiner by trade, established a shop supplying building materials. Thomas Atkinson, sadly, was killed in the great earthquake of 1931. Maggie died in Napier in 1972. Both John and Sarah emigrated to Brisbane, Australia and died there in 1947 and 1975 respectively.
Note on duplicate marriages
Duplicate marriages were rare but they could, and did, happen. When researchers have encountered
them they often struggle to find a convincing explanation.
referred to were viewed at the Wakefield Registry of Deeds The Will
of Joseph Bateson is at the Borthwick Institute 1 A Plan
of the Manor of Idle drawn up between 1810 and 1813 by Jonathan Taylor (one
of the Inclosure Commissioners, the other being Jonathan Teal) 2 Printed in Windhill Wesleyan Mission by Arthur Costigan, published by Windhill
Community Association, 1989 3 Round
About Bradford by William Cudworth, published by Thomas Brear, 1876, also serialised in
Bradford Observer, 1875 4 For more details see the Maps
page 5 A
Short Description of Crag Cottage by William Peel, 1857 © Windhill Origins
George married Mary Haley in Otley on 7 November 1819 by Banns. He was described as a Worsted Weaver and the witnesses were a John Hargreaves and a John Rawnsley (both Calverley residents). While baptisms and burials often took place in the nearest chapel, weddings were more likely in the principal church of a parish - in this case Otley. If the couple came from different parishes, the bride's was often chosen for the ceremony. George and Mary, however, were both "of this parish", according to the register entry. Yet there is no evidence that either family had anything to do with Otley - they might have lodged there temporarily for the Banns but otherwise there was no connection.
However, Mary was only 17 and, if parental consent for the marriage was not forthcoming, the couple might have gone to Otley to escape her family's notice.
Perhaps the Haley family grew to accept the marriage so that seven months later, on 25 June 1820, the couple was able to go to Calverley Parish Church and remarry. According to the register, the marriage was by Banns and the groom was a Clothier, a satisfactory step up from the Weaver of 1819. Strangely though, he was still a Bachelor and Mary was a Spinster. Once again, both bride and groom were "of this parish".
But the age explanation is not entirely convincing because it seems that George and Mary were following a precedent set by George's brother James.
He married Isabella Wade in Otley on 27 May 1815. And again in Calverley on 12 June 1815. There is no obvious reason for the duplication. Neither bride nor groom had any connection with Otley and both were of age. The first marriage was by Banns, the second by Licence.
Licences were often used by couples in a hurry to get married. There could be a variety of reasons for this, including differences in status, such as age, social standing, religion etc. Previously married people (such as the widowed) or couples from different parishes might also apply for Licences. If a couple had already married elsewhere, they might want to clarify the status of their marriage by marrying again.
It could be that the legality of the Otley marriages was in such doubt that the couples were obliged to get married again.
Yet if that were true, it seems odd that George had not learned from his brother's experience……
Deeds referred to were viewed at the Wakefield Registry of Deeds
The Will of Joseph Bateson is at the Borthwick Institute
1 A Plan of the Manor of Idle drawn up between 1810 and 1813 by Jonathan Taylor (one of the Inclosure Commissioners, the other being Jonathan Teal)
2 Printed in Windhill Wesleyan Mission by Arthur Costigan, published by Windhill Community Association, 1989
3 Round About Bradford by William Cudworth, published by Thomas Brear, 1876, also serialised in Bradford Observer, 1875
4 For more details see the Maps page
5 A Short Description of Crag Cottage by William Peel, 1857
© Windhill Origins