History Notes

 

The earliest documentary evidence of the McDougalls comes from an entry in the Kenmore Old Parish Register showing Hugh McDougall’s marriage to Mary Ferguson on 6 April 1775 at Boreland Farm in Fernan, near Fortingal.  Around 1812, the family moved west along Loch Tay to Lawers and took up a tenancy at the nearby township of Cuiltrannich.

 

References

1        Farquharson, John: Plans and Book of reference relating to survey of the north

        side of Lochtay (1769)

2        Gillies, William A. In Famed Breadalbane (1938)

3        McDiarmid, J. Folklore of Breadalbane (1910)

4          Statistical Accounts for Perthshire 1791-99 and 1834-55

5        Heron, Robert Observations Made in a Journey through the Western Counties of

        Scotland (1793)

6        John Campbell of Lochend – quoted in “Lawers and Loch Tay: The Biography of

        Peter Crerar” by David Crerar, 1998

7        See “Introduction to Old Lawers” on In Callander website

 

Please use the links below.